Saturday, October 20, 2012

EDUC 6713 Reflection

At the beginning of this course, I developed a GAME plan to bring authentic problems into my classroom through the use of technology and to enhance communication with my students and their parents by using Edmodo. Dr. Katherine Cennamo defines a GAME plan as a strategy that self-directed learners use to promote personal growth and development (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).
            As I moved through my GAME plan for incorporating Edmodo into my classroom, I quickly discovered there would be bumps in the road. While I have found Edmodo to be a wonderful way to increase collaboration and engagement amongst my students, I have had parents deny their child access to Edmodo. For these students, I have tried to create activities that are just as interactive but it is hard. However, through the use of open-ended questions on Edmodo, I have seen my other students gain a depth of understanding for the concepts being taught in the classroom.
            As for integrating authentic problems into my classroom, I developed three GAME lesson plans in which I incorporated technology into my content area: math. While I have only had the chance to integrate one of the lessons with my students, I have found they were much more engaged. Not only did my students become more engaged, they also seemed to gain a deeper understanding of quantitative relationships because they had the opportunity to explore the concept at their own pace and level.
            I have already made adjustments to my instructional practice because I now think of how technology can enhance my lessons. I no longer look for technology to force into my lessons and realize there are some days I can use technology easily and others where I will need to spend time researching best practices. I have learned how problem-based learning can enhance student learning, I have used social media sites to allow students to collaborate in a setting which some are more comfortable, and have developed ideas and plans for integrating digital storytelling into my classroom. I am excited and prepared to continue using these technologies in my classroom.

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Promoting self-directed learning with technology. [Webcast]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment