Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Working on my GAME Plan


In order to meet my first goal, which involves engaging students in authentic problems utilizing tools, I need to research lessons that other teachers have done. So far I have started towards this goal through the help of my peers. My peers have posted helpful suggestions for me on my blog that are leading me to examples of problem-based learning in the mathematics classroom. Now that I have some good examples of authentic learning experiences, I now need to research how technology is used in the math classroom. This is an area I need assistance. My problem is I get stuck on using technology as replacement of paper and pencil techniques. I would like to find a use of technology that extends students’ learning, not simply replacing something that could be done without technology.  The steps I have taken so far consist of researching authentic learning experiences in regards to rational numbers, which will be the next unit of study for my students. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

I have already taken some action towards my second goal, which is to use Edmodo to increase communication with my students and parents. I have set up my account and started to set up general parameters, such as different sections for each period, creating an introductory poll and quiz for my students. Resources I need for carrying out my plan are a parent letter explaining the website and gaining permission for students to access Edmodo. I have found a few sample letters online, which I will draw from to create my own letter.  I also found a wiki page on Edmodo that shares ideas on what it is used for. This wiki offers great explanations for how to set up and monitor wiki pages. My next step will be to write my own parent letter and roll out my Edmodo webpage to my students.

References:

The Who, What (For), When, Where, How, and Why (Not) of Edmodo! Retrieved from http://edmodo.barrow.wikispaces.net/Edmodo+Home

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your want of finding something to extend your students' learning rather then just replacing it, but I think you should also keep in mind that most students these days are much more engaged using technology, so I don't think it's really a bad thing that you are finding tools that simply replace paper and pencil. In fact, in addition to keeping them engaged, you are also preparing them for the use of 21st century skills.

    If you're looking for extension activities, would your students respond better to drill skills, games, or additional lessons that they could work on on their own? Maybe figure out exactly what you think they would benefit or respond to most, and go from there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the math teachers in my school generates a list of math procedures at the beginning of each year. Students select a partner and each pair chooses a topic. When class reaches that particular topic during the school year, the partnered students are required to make a video that explains how to complete the math procedure. There are always high levels of creativity in these videos and it is a way to embed technology with math. Due to the structure of this assignment, the teacher only has to work with two students at a time which allows for more direct instruction. The student complete this on their own time, so they must come in after school if they seek help. It works well for her and I just wanted to offer up the example. Good luck achieving your goal!

    - Alexander D. Veltz

    ReplyDelete